Reproductions of town and village maps of the lost towns of the Quabbin Reservoir.
On April 28, 1938, the Quabbin Reservoir was formed and four Massachusetts towns ceased to exist. The name Quabbin comes from a Nipmuck Indian word that translates as "the meeting place of many waters."
Natives of the four lost towns gather monthly at the Quabbin Visitors Center to reminisce.
Some information about Dana from the 1898 Atlas of Worcester County, Massachusetts:
DOANE, FRED E. Dealer in Fresh and Salt Meats. Meawt route through New Salem, Greenwich, Petersham and Athol. Also supplies the people of North Dana with Ice. Post Office, North Dana.
GOODMAN & CO., HENRY W. Manufacturers of Mens Boys and Children's Canton, also Palm Leaf Hats. Factory, North Dana.
JOHNSON, N. L. Stephen Johnson, a Revolutionary soldier, settled upon this farm immediately after the close of the Revolution. Nathaniel Johnson succeeded to the ownership and occupancy, and N. L. Johnson, grandson of the original owner, purchsed the place in 1866. It consists of 130 acres, and is situated about one-half mile from Dana. It is fitted up with barn and outbuildings, although the house was destroyed by fire many years ago. The chief products are Hay, Grain, Potatoes and Stock. Mr. Johnson resides in the town where he was a manufacturer of Palm Leaf goods from 1843 to 1887. President of the First National Bank, Barre, Trustee Barre Savings Bank, also member of Massachusetts House of Representatives three terms and of the Senate twice.
KNAPP, M. T. Was born in Worcester County, where he has spent most of his life. For many years he followed farming, owning a farm in Dana, which he afterwards sold, although he still owns 40 acres of timber in that town. From 1865 to 1867 he was employed in a straw goods manufactory in New Bedford, Mass., and is now connected with the Hat Factory of H. W. Goodman & Co., North Dana. He has been Assessor, Member of the School Board, and is one of the Selectmen of Dana.
NORTH DANA HOTEL. Rate, $1.00 per day. G. L. Johnson, Proprietor. Real Estate and Insurance Agent.
THE GROVER FARM. This tract was originally settled by Freeman Rodgers, and purchsed by Elijah Grover about 1844. At his death it was deeded to his son, John N. Grover, who by will transferred it in 1884 to its present owner, mr. Frank S. Grover. The place consists of 175 acres and fronts on the main road from Dana to Barre, being 1 mile from the former and 6 miles from the latter. It contains an old style frame house in good repair and outbuildings, all of which are supplied with running water from a spring that never fails. There is a wood lot of 40 acres on the place, and a trout brook which runs the entire length of the farm. General farming is carried on, which finds a ready sale in the home markets.
"THE MAPLES". Located on the road running north from Dana to Athol, and on the banks of a large and beautiful sheet of water, surrounded by mountains, lakes and streams, is "The Maples," the home of Mrs. mary M. Bassett. This farm, which was owned by a Mr. Allen, and then by M. T. Knapp, who sold to Mrs. Bsasett March, 1897, is one of the most desirable in Worcester County, and consists of 30 acres, which contains a handsome frame house and out-buildings. Very little is done in the way of general farming,a s Mrs. Bassett purchased the place for a home.
THE STONE FARM. This place was first settled by a Mr. Bryant, who sold it to Elias Stone in 1804. He deeded it to Daniel Stone, and from him it descended to his son and daughter, the son, James S. Stone, afterwards purchasing his sister's share. The tract originally consisted of 500 acres, but it has since been reduced to 27 acres, being located in the village of North Dana. When the property came into the hands of Mr. Elias Stone it contained a small frame house and barn, but Mr. Daniel Stone afterwards erected a fine house, which was burned in 1887, and the present house was built a short time afterwards. General farming is carried on, the products of which are disposed of in the home market.